The last 2 months have been home alone stay at Pune. This has been my first time ever without anybody — be it family, roommate, or domestic help.
With a huge change in day-to-day life, it made me realize a few things—
- Housework is not tough. It is boring! Because it is the same thing to be done over and over and over again…..
- Cooking is not tough either, but it is not boring at all. After 4–5 days of messing around, I got hang of it nicely. It requires some creativity, which comes with an instant reward.
- 2 meals a day are good enough to keep you going
- Sink zero > Inbox zero
- No cleanliness, no peace of mind
- Alone time doesn’t automatically mean a quiet mind
- A tight and repetitive routine means days feel like passing by quickly and unremarkably
- Books > Netflix > Youtube
- If you are alone for long, you can even get emotionally attached to house plants
- Consumer consumption (malls/movies/restaurants) is just a habit, without having much bearing on happiness. Changing to a much simpler lifestyle with 5 times lesser consumption didn’t bring a big emotional change.
- Weekend car drives outside the city, Saturday morning coffee+book/friend at a nice cafe are the best pleasures of life, period!
That’s what comes to the top of my mind. How has been your experience?